Principal's Welcome Message
One of the best public schools in the city of Manila for many years is Rafael Palma Elementary School. As a former extension of Epifanio de los Santos Elementary School in 1946 and with Mr. Simeon M. Agustin as the principal, it was expanded to San Andres Subdivision until 1948 due to the increased enrolment. Pressed by necessity, the City of Manila conducted Quonset huts at Vito Cruz to meet the growing school population of the community.
In the opening of schools in 1950, EDSES was opened on its former site in Singalong Street. The annex at Vito Cruz subsquently become Rafael Palma Elementary School. Hon. Placido C. Ramos, then member of the Municipal Board of the City of Manila conceived of this name and worked for it, hence the approved Division Circular No. 3, S 1950. It was named in honor of Dr. Rafael V. Palma, an illustrious Filipino educator, writer, historian and statesman.
The location of Rafael Palma is found in Makati however, the parcel of land is already owned by the City of Manila. The lot was then donated by Doña Margarita Roxas de Ayala clan Manila Corporation which is now City Hall.
On October 24,1951 under the administration of Mr.Sergio F. Lopez, the marbled monument of Dr. Rafael Palma which was one of the earliest outstanding achievements of the first Parent-Teacher Association was unveiled during the inauguration program that coincided with the birthday of this venerable man.
Since then the improvements of the school were the following:
1952-1953 > From the“ quonset huts” the government of Manila constructed a two-storey building worth P115,000.00
1962-1972 > Changes both in physical and insructional part of the school were made during the leadership of Mrs. Socorro Veron Cruz and Mrs. Amparo P. Lopez respectively.
1972-1979> The Annex Building with 12 classrooms was constructed under the administration of Miss Rizalina V. Pura.The government also provided the fund amounting to P1,600.00 for painting of the school as well as the improvement of H.E., Canteen, Guidance and Adult Community Center.
1979-1985> Open Reading Center, Drinking Fountain, Kinder Playground, Non-Formal Education and First Drum and Bugle Corp were made possible by then principal Mrs. Eustaquia D. Marabut
1985 > Journalism Room, Media Center, TCPES, Clerk, Art and room for English teachers and the altar of Sto. Nino were built during the time of Dr. Rosario T. Almeda, principal.
1985-1987> Construction of Social Hall, installation of air-con unit and provision of steel cabinets under the term of Mr. Herminio D. Sorilla.
1988-1990> The Havana building was built during the tenure of Mr. Marianito Guzman.
1990-1991> Construction of cemented benches around the Banaba, Talisay and Rubber trees, putting up of a landscape between the new building(V-VI) and the Carino building(Gr.II) and the herbal garden near the Zobel Roxas gate.
1991-1992> Fire razed the Main Building to the ground which included the Principal and the Assistant Principals’ Office,Dental Clinic, Music Room, Social Hall, Library, Property Room. This happened during Miss Aurora C. Doria’s term as principal. This was also the time when the Carino building was done.
1992-1994> A three-storey building was constructed in place of the building razed by the fire. This is now the Administrative building. Mr. Rodolfo S. Perey was the principal.
1995-1998> Amado Bagatsing Building was constructed and is now being used by the intermediate classes, stage was renovated,Orchidarium was placed near the Pre-Fab building, another three-storey building was built near the Carino building, Bagong Lipunan,Annez ang New building were repainted under the principalship of Mrs. Adelma Barreto.
1998- > The Principal’s Office was transferred to the main building, along with the Guidance Office and the clinic. This was during the time of Mrs. Herminia Gonzales.
1998- 2016 > A lot of physical improvements, projects, beautifications occured during the tenure of Mrs. Aquino, Dr. Leyva, Mrs. Valdez, Mrs. Liwag, Dr. Marcelo, Dr. Pradas, Mrs. Visaya
2016-Present> With the initiative of Mrs. Josephine C. Deligente as Principal IV, the well-improved school buildings can accommodate a school population that reaches around 4,000 pupils. With a total land area of 10 square meters, the school has seven buildings with 72 classrooms.Aside from academics RPES offers ancillary services such as the well-improved Library, Guidance Office, Dental and Health Clinic, Computer classes, Journalism,Alternative Learning classes and many more. Likewise, the school is proud of the amenities available such as Palma’s Park, Mini Lagoon,Covered Court, AMADOME and the like.
With more than 100 responsive and vibrant teachers, competent and result-oriented Public Schools District Supervisor Dr. Joemar M. Calabia, and decisive and dedicated principal Mrs. Josephine C. Deligente Rafael Palma Elementary School made its mark in winning the SEAL OF GOVERNANCE AND SCHOOL REFORMS for SY 2016-2017, the first ever major award in the history of RPES.